Many people dream of becoming an entrepreneur and starting their own business – one that provides them with the financial freedom to run their business from anywhere in the world. In 2015 there were over 27 million entrepreneurs in the U.S. This is a number that continues growing since there are a lot of business opportunities allowing for this opportunity.
Image Source: https://www.noobpreneur.com/2015/08/28/5-ways-to-start-a-travel-business/
The Challenges of Working Abroad
While working from anywhere in the world sounds great, there are some challenges you’re bound to face. According to Hub Works some of the issues you must be aware of include:
- Culture shock can happen when you visit another part of America. It doesn’t matter where you travel, you’ll find a big difference in lifestyles. This throws off even the best plans because you’ll need time to adjust.
- Lack of sleep happens any time you cross a time zone. This will put a lag in your daily schedule as your body needs to catch up. During this time you’ll experience daytime exhaustion from sleepless nights. These make it challenging to focus on your business.
- Crossing time zones also pose a challenge when working with other people. When your schedules align it’s easy to get work done. Doing the simplest thing, even maintaining communication, between different time zones isn’t so easy though.
- Intense weather disrupts tight travel plans. While you may not think that things like grounded planes and closed roads could keep you from conducting business online, unfortunately, you’re wrong.
- Although we’re quite technologically advanced today, cell signals and internet service are often unreliable in other parts of the world. With this in mind, you never know when you’ll find yourself in a place where you can’t access the information and communication tools your business relies on.
Stay Connected With Video Conferencing Apps for Making Video Calls
Although you can’t always rely on technology, when it works, it’s great. One of the best apps you can have on your smartphone when you’re traveling is a video conferencing app that lets you make video calls.
When you’re away, traveling for business, using video conferencing apps to make video conference calls will help you in several ways. According to Clear One, these include:
- Video conferencing helps improve productivity between you and your customers and teams. While phone calls, email, and instant messaging are helpful, without face-to-face communication it’s easy to have some misunderstandings that could cause major problems. By implementing video everyone is more alert and focused on the discussion. This allows you to complete projects faster, be more productive, and have all of your team members in sync with one another so your message is professionally conveyed.
- Collaboration occurs faster and it’s also more effective since you can see the other participants’ facial expressions and body language. Unfortunately, these important aspects of communication are lost during a phone call. When you hold web meetings in real-time everyone feels closer, regardless of where they’re located.
- You’ll have a competitive advantage over your competition. Since you’re able to share information faster, everyone is better informed. This means that it’ll take less time to create new products and services for your clients. Your support team will also benefit by having more personal relationships with their customers, which will make them more loyal to you than if they were to simply talk to you on the phone. Throughout this entire process, you can also verify the quality and accuracy of any products you’re manufacturing so you can make the necessary changes in less than an hour instead of waiting a week for it to be shipped to you.
A few Other Things to Remember
Obviously, you’ll need more than a video conferencing app to help you manage your business while you’re traveling. Inc. says there are a few other things you need to remember when you’re traveling, including:
- Since you can’t always expect the internet to work like you think it should, you need to have a backup plan. One of the best backup plans here is to buy a local SIM card so you can access data. When you’re visiting more remote areas, try renting a WiFi hotspot.
- Make sure you leverage all the tools you do have at your disposal. With all the powerful scheduling tools that are available, you don’t need to do much in real-time anymore. Instead, make sure that you use these tools before you travel. Not only will this free you up while you’re traveling but it’ll also give you the peace of mind of knowing that things will get done while you’re away. It also allows you to manage your time more effectively when you do need to head off in search of a good WiFi connection.
- Make sure you have a good team in place so you can depend on them when something does go wrong. This is important when you travel because you’re not as available as you normally are when you’re traveling. It’s important that everyone knows exactly what they should do and that they’re ready to do it. Taking the time to map out an “emergency” plan before you leave home is the best thing you can do for you and your business. Even if you don’t use it, at least it’s there.
- Always invest in the best technology your money can buy. You never know when something may break while you’re working on the road. Finding tech support while you’re traveling can cost you a lot of wasted time and money. This is why you need to make sure everything is up-to-date before you ever leave home.
Today it’s easier than ever to work while you’re traveling the globe. You just need to take into account any bumps you may come across along the way. Undoubtedly, a combination of the right tools and the proper planning will allow you to run your business smoothly. As such, there’s no reason you shouldn’t enjoy traveling as an entrepreneur while running a successful business.